Before we begin, I would recommend you go through My Journey Towards Veganism to understand better why we are looking for alternate sources for diary products.
Please go through Vegan Milk to find out how to extract or make fresh, healthy vegan milk at home.
Coconut Milk Curd
Speaking of setting the curd, the starters generally used to set any curd are:
- Regular diary curd
- Red or green Chillies
- Probiotics (am not sure about this technique though)
On that note, my grandmother told me a really surprising way to set any curd where our regular cooking salt is used as a starter. She was telling me how in those days when they were back from a journey they would use salt as a starter to set the curd since they wouldn’t have left over curd in the house (please note there was no refrigerator in those days to preserve any left over curd and it was not possible to get store bought curd as well..!!)
I haven’t really tried yet how to make thick coconut milk curd using this method (I guess it will also work), but coconut milk curd (or creamy coconut buttermilk) rice comes out really well.
How To Make Coconut Milk Curd Rice
- Step 1: Extract coconut milk and adjust the consistency depending upon whether you want it to be like buttermilk or thick curd.
- Step 2: Cook the rice, put it a wide bottomed open pan, mash it slightly and let it cool
- Step 3: Add salt, one slit green chilly, coconut milk to the cooled rice
- Step 4: Temper mustard seeds, chana dal, curry leaves, red chilly (if required) in little oil and pour over the rice and mix well.
- Step 4: Give it a setting time of about 3 to 6 hours depending upon the climate and enjoy delicious, yummy vegan curd rice…!!!!
Step By Step Photos
Aha, we are finally finishing our meals these days with a contented feeling of having had the yummiest curd rice..!!!
Peanut Milk Curd
Please follow this link to make yummy peanut milk curd